Dr. Louise Janes D.V.M. & Dr. Jeff Grognet D.V.M.

The Perils of Peanut Butter

Posted | 0 comments

Dr. Louise and Dr. Jeff connected in 1984 while Louise was the shepherd at UBC Agricultural Sciences. They later married in 1992 and dreamed of creating a practice they could share. In the fall of 1995, they moved to Oceanside and officially opened the doors of the Mid-Isle Veterinary Hospital in Qualicum Beach in 1996. Their care focuses on dogs and cats, utilizing integrative medicine – a blend of traditional and complementary therapies. Full examination, surgical, and radiological facilities are also available. They call themselves integrative practitioners.

If you give your dog treats like peanut butter or grapes, make sure you watch this.

We’ve known about the toxicity of grapes for a long time, but some people still give them, or their dry cousins the raisins, to their dog. They can cause massive kidney damage. And, if you thought that organic means safe, you’d be wrong.

Peanut butter, once considered safe, is now being tainted (from the dog perspective) and can be poisonous. There is a chemical added to boost the sweet flavour called xylitol that you need to watch out for.




Dr. Louise Janes D.V.M. & Dr. Jeff Grognet D.V.M.
Mid-Isle Veterinary Hospital
5-161 Fern Road West
Qualicum Beach, BC
Tel (250) 752-8969
Mid-Isle Veterinary Hospital




See all articles by

Leave your comment to this article or add your own blog post below.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *